Friday, May 15, 2009

Thursday, May 14th

You know when you wake up on certain days, you know it's not going to be the best of days...

This is how I felt when I woke up on Thursday, I overslept slightly. I knew I didn't have a choice, I had to go to work because I am in training for my new position. I got up and went to work. When I got to the parking lot, i got a call from Shane saying that Katy's stomach was still hurting * tremendously* on the right side.

Katy had told us of simple indigestion on Tuesday and a tummy ache on Wednesday night as she was going to bed, but pushed she made it sound like JUST a tummy ache. So she got a TUMS on Wednesday and the typical question - "did you poop?". I told her if she didn't feel better by Thursday, we would see what else we could do.

When shane called, I had my fears but I still called Mom then the Doctors office for advice. I called work and told them that I had a sick kid and would let then know what was going on as I knew it. We took Katy to the doctor and he said to bring her into the ER. They could better help her than he could.

We got to the ER about 9am and were seen by Dr Linda by 930. She said she was 99.99% positive that Katy had Appendicitis but she would consult with the surgeon. The next 4 hours were a blur of waiting, a CT Scan and more waiting. We were blessed to have our friend Candy, who works in the hospital, stop by and we enjoyed a visit from our Pastor who was visiting another little one from our church.

Finally at 130, we got the word that yes Katy had appendicitis and it was perforated and she was taken to surgery. She wasn't scared at all, she was very brave. Not to mention she had been on pain medication since about 10. My friend Theresa from work came at about 130ish to hang out with us. We took the opportunity to go to the cafeteria and get a bite to eat, then go to the waiting room - and wait!

I was called to the recovery room at about 4 and stayed with Katy until she was moved to the Children's floor, about 5. She was groggy and in pain, but in good spirits. Shane went to get Nicole from daycare and take her home to Theresa who offered to stay the night with her. Shane grabbed a few things and came back for a few hours. We finally got to talk to the doctor at about 930. He said he looked for us, but didn't know what waiting room they stuck us in. He had said that when he opened Katy up, her appendix had ruptured and all but disintegrated. He felt confident that he cleaned everything up and only left his "little punkin" with a little scar.

Shane went home about midnight to get a little rest and I slept on this - interesting fold out cabinet - for a few hours. She is doing much better this morning. She is awake and alert. She has even gotten up to go potty (slowly and carefully) Soon we will have people visiting other than nurses. She is going great and we are all really proud of her!

No comments:

Post a Comment