Sunday, January 10, 2010

Music today

Every generation has gripes about the music the "young kids" are listening to, so why should this be any different, you ask?

Maybe I'm getting old OR maybe it's just where I am in my relationship with God that this has finally started bothering me.

Growing up, I always turned to music. I loved getting lost in a song. But as I sit and watch CMT with my girls, I find myself changing the channel more than actually watching it.

For example, a new group, Lady Antebellum. When I was listening to their songs recently and actually pulled up the lyrics to make sure I heard them correctly!

"NEED YOU NOW"
Another shot of whiskey, can't stop looking at the door
wishing you'd come sweeping in the way you did before
And I wonder if I ever cross your mind
For me, it happends all the time

It's a quarter after one, and I'm a little drunk,
And I need you now.
Said I wouldn't call but I lost all control and I need you now.
And I don't know how I can do without, I just need you now.

"LOOKIN FOR A GOOD TIME"
Girl, you're beutiful
You're 'bout near perfect
but I bet somebody's already told you that.
Name your poison,
Name your passion
Cause a boy like me just couln't help but ask
Keep on talkin to me baby.
I'm hanging on your every word.
Keep those drinks a comin' maybe
We'll both get what we deser ve
(chorus)
How bout baby we make a promise,
to not promise anything more than one night.
Complicated situations
only get worse in the morning light
Hey, I'm just looking for a good time.

What kind of message are we teaching? I am now more and more aware of what my kids are listening to. With lyrics like this, its no wonder why we're having such issues in society.

Don't get me stared on movies or TV.

I practically turn off the TV during commercials - they scare the crap out of me and the kids! Movies, I don't watch movies... I can't handle the violence, language, or sexual content. My dear friend, Marsha, showed me a great website http://www.pluggedin.com/. It shows the content and values of movies. I use it all the time.

I know there's nothing I can do, except vent, but it just angers me that no one cares what kids hear or watch on TV and movies........

guess I'm just getting old AND the Spirit is working overtime in me! Thank God!! I know my kids will grow up with morals and values. Life is hard enough, so why go into it with the wrong foundation?

Good luck and God Bless you all!

1 comment: