Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Will it or will it not?

Ok, so Mother nature is unpredictable. This should not be anything new.

So why is the top story in Anchorage these days when will Mt Redoubt erupt? Do reporters really think if they keep bugging the scientists at the Alaska Volcano Observatory that they will automatically have an answer. C'mon! The fact that volcanic eruptions and other natural disasters are still unpredictable, is just a reminder that we are living in a very unpredictable time and that we should not become complacent.

We made sure we had all our "volcano survival kit." (as the major stores are promoting) We have our masks to prevent inhalation of ash, flashlights for loss of power and our generator. I could not believe that the area stores are selling these "Survival kits" at a higher price and attempting to make money off a natural disaster. I guess this is true everywhere though. Yes the prices have increased - but for 2 masks the price was twice as much as it was a month ago!!! I know, supply and demand - but this is stupid!!

Since the masks in the hardware stores are for adults, we had to improvise for the kids. We went to my all time favorite store, Walmart, got some fabric and string and I will make masks for the girls. They 'should' look like the masks the Japanese use when they are sick. See, living in Japan actually did me good!

Making the masks are my project for tonight! Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment